Monday, February 17, 2014

The Journey of 2014 OLB/DE Sam Blue

[RALEIGH] - Ask an area coach is who is the best player they faced all season, and the popular pick is Sam Blue.  Named to the 2013 American Family Insurance All-USA North Carolina All-State Team, Blue wrecked havoc all over the field as a senior breaking a North Carolina state record with 19 sacks.  He also managed to record 118 solo tackles, 52 tackles for loss, nine forced fumbles, six strips, five fumble recoveries, two defensive touchdowns, and one interception.   All the while, Blue earned a 3.72 GPA at Millbrook High School and was named to the National Honor Society.

GAINRecruiting.com shares the journey of Sam Blue in his own words culminating his signed letter of intent to join the Rutgers University Scarlet Knights.

THE BEGINNING

"I started playing football in 8th grade. I played defensive end at West Millbrook Middle School.  We went 2-7 and I hated losing. When I started at Millbrook High School, I started at TE on junior varsity and we finished 9-2 and JV Conference Champs. I moved to varsity at TE as a sophomore, our team went 6-6, and I played with running back Keith Marshall, who signed with Georgia. My junior year, I moved to defensive side of the ball blitzing off the edge at either OLB or DE. We went 3-8 as our team had to suffer through 19 injured players.  My coaches utilized my versatility a lot more during my senior year. I dropped in coverage, put my hand on the ground, played nose, 3-technique, as well as defensive end. We went 10-4, and lost in 3rd round of state playoffs in four overtimes."

SACKS

"One of my coaches, Jermicus Banks, played at North Carolina and taught me a lot of great pass moves.   He taught me the keys on how to react to offensive lineman.  My best attributes are I play relentless, have a great swim move, and a great spin move."

RECRUITING

"As a junior, I was 6'1, 215-pounds. I grew to 6'2.5, 225-pounds before my senior year.  I can play linebacker or rush end.  I put on a lot of muscle keeping my explosiveness to make me a stronger overall player going into my senior year."

"The recruiting process started going into my junior year.  I heard from Elon, first.  They invited me to campus a couple times. After my junior year, I heard from Elon, Furman, Western Carolina, Applachain State, Towson, Villanova, and James Madison."

"Georgetown started recruiting me during my senior season. They visited me at school a couple times, called me a few times. Heard from a lot of people it's a great academic school that provides a lot of opportunities. They offered me an academic full scholarship and invited me to take an official visit. I had a great time at Georgetown and had a great feel there. I meshed well with the city, the coaches, with the school. You're in the middle of everything. 

"I committed later in the week on the Thursday following my visit. I was feeling great about my decision. I was pretty excited."

"The week leading up to my Georgetown official visit, I heard from Coach Browning at Rutgers. He called me first and then I was in contact Coach (Jim) Panagos who came to Raleigh to schedule an in-home visit  after visiting my high school. I knew Rutgers was a bigger football program and I would be playing with bigger exposure opportunities. I was excited for the opportunity."

"I heard from Coach Panagos on the Wednesday leading into my official visit weekend, and he said they need to wait through the weekend to determine if they could offer a scholarship. While I was there for my official visit, we talked schemes, and I feel pretty good I am a good fit at the rush end position where they are recruiting me in their 3-4 defense. They project me to play at 265-to-270-pounds. I met with Coach Flood and talked with him about the weekend. He told me he was extending me an official offer to become a official Scarlet Knight. I had already spoke with my parents, and once I received the offer, that is when I committed."

CLOSING

"I really plan on going to Rutgers to be an impact player and make a big impact on the team. I am going to be hard worker with determination to develop into the best player I can be. I am planning to major in forensic science or perhaps civil engineering. Not totally sure yet. I am excited for the opportunity I have at Rutgers University."




No comments:

Post a Comment