Friday, April 4, 2014

SPRING PROSPECTIVE: 2015 WR Jordan Allen

[BOSTON] - Class of 2015 wide receiver Jordan Allen was the first 2015 prospect listed on GAIN Sports in late January.   It was good fortune for us because we knew Jordan embodied much of what we looked for in our student-athletes.   First, he is a good student.   Second, he had a recruiting disadvantage in that injuries impacted his freshman and sophomore seasons so Jordan really emerged after his junior season and we evaluated that on film.   He has not reached his ceiling and it is easy to see his best football is ahead of him.  Lastly, once you get to know him he is a well-spoken and personable young man.

For his great fortune, Jordan was ahead in his start to college football recruiting due to great guidance from his father Jeffery and mother Angela.  All of their work led to Jordan's first scholarship offer this past weekend from Boston College.   That was a lifetime achievement for the six-foot-two, 190-lb pound wide receiver with untapped skills and a six-foot-six wingspan.

"I'm extremely appreciative of Boston College extending my first scholarship offer," Allen commented.  "Their my hometown school and ten minutes away from my home.  It's close to my family and I am a good fit for their scheme and style of wide receiver play.  From the top with Coach (Steve) Addazio to Coach (Todd) Fitch my position coach to Coach (Kevin) Lempa my area recruiter, they are all doing a great job representing Boston College."

"Still, I know that Boston College is the only college I know intimately right now.   I have received interest from a lot of other schools, and know it is only fair to myself to learn about each school and program so that I ultimately can make the best decision for myself and my family."

Allen hopes to have a decision made before his senior season.  A season he is working hard to make his best season yet.

"That has been my biggest focus since last season ended," continued Allen. "I am keeping my options open and working hard to play my best and help our team play our best this fall.  I had injuries that impacted my freshman and sophomore seasons and my junior season was my first that I was able to put a full season together.  I'm proud of how I played and I am focused on getting better every day."

Through 8 games last season, Allen recorded 22 receptions for 350 yards and two touchdowns averaging 15.46 yards per catch.   When asked his best attributes as a wide receiver, Allen followed up with...

"I have a large radius and I have great ability to track balls in the air and know where to meet it.  I played outfield in baseball for 6 to 7 years and believe it greatly helped me with that skill.   I'm able to get low in and out of breaks and am continuing to work and get better at the craft of running routes and running full speed with deception."

"I also know that I have a lot to learn because I have not played for a former receiver.   I take pride in my coach-ability and know I have a lot to be coached up on.  I look forward to that opportunity."

His recruitment has officially started with the hometown Golden Eagles scholarship offer and that dates back to Jordan's first summer college football camp at BC last summer.

"I was coming off a torn labrum at the end of my sophomore season and due to continued rehab scheduled Boston College as the only football camp I would attend," Allen shared.

"I think I jumped out to the BC coaches when they saw me run my forty-yard dash.  I was sluggish coming off my injury, and didn't have the start I wanted but when they saw my top end speed from 15 yards to 40 yards they selected me as part of a small group of receivers they worked extra to evaluate.  They told me to keep working hard and they would evaluate my junior film."

"After my junior season, I received an invitation to their Junior Day in late February after Signing Day.  There, I got to sit down and talk with Coach Addazio and he shared with me how envisioned the next couple months in front of me and their hope I would return to their summer camp.  He established they had interest."

"I received a follow-up invitation to receive one of their first Saturday spring practices in March and had an opportunity to meet with Coach Addazio following the practice.  He became more detailed in our meeting letting me know I checked out in all areas except the 4.6 40-yard dash I ran last summer.  He wanted to see me run a faster time.  I told him I wanted a Boston College offer and was happy to earn it."

"After giving it thought for a couple of days, I received a Facebook message from Coach Fitch to give him a call later that afternoon.   When I called him, he told me Coach Addazio wanted to speak with me but was in a meeting and to call back at 5:30."

"When I called back at 5:30, I got to speak with Coach Addazio and he told me after giving it more thought he thought I was too good of a fit for their scheme and playing style that he was extending me my first scholarship offer.   I was very excited.   I was glad it happened."

Prior to receiving his first scholarship, Allen made a west coast trip with his father to visit USC, UCLA, and San Diego State, in addition, to competing with the themed GOON Squad all-star team in the Pylon 7v7 Super Regional in Las Vegas March 15th and 16th.

"Our trip out west was a great experience.  We started at USC, and they did a great job showing us around.  We spent time with Coach (Clay) Helton and Coach (Tee) Martin.  Coach Helton told me he was impressed with my film and thought I had a great radius to catch footballs anywhere near my general area.  They invited me to come back for their camp in late June," stated Allen.

"I had a great time at San Diego State and UCLA, too.   I spent time with Coach (LeCharles) McDaniels the wide receivers coach at San Diego State, and it seemed he became more intrigued to learn more about me after watching my film.   The visits were great and made it all worthwhile to attend the Pylon 7v7 Super Regional in Las Vegas."

"I felt very blessed to compete in the Pylon 7v7 against some great talent from around the country and I personally needed it as it gave me a measurement to know I can compete with those guys.  I thought I did enough to prove I am capable of playing against the best."

Allen has received strong interest from Northwestern, Penn State, Maryland, and UConn among others a month away from the spring evaluation period.  He does not have any more visits planned before the summer, but he is working out dates to attend camps at all four mentioned above, but he is keeping an open to determine the best camps to attend this summer.

"Academics are very important to me," said Allen.   "I want to know I will receive a good education and have the support around me to walk away with a degree.   I also want an opportunity to play while I am in college and I am not afraid of a challenge to help a program rebound and take a step or steps forward."



No comments:

Post a Comment