Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Journey of 2014 QB Vincent Testaverde Jr.

[TAMPA]  -  When you follow college football recruiting at the quarterback position, you are living in the fast lane.   The recruiting time clock has sped up hours; if not; days upon weeks upon a year with how quarterbacks are evaluated at the FBS and FCS levels. Few college football programs enter the start of their season without a quarterback committed.

Still, good quarterbacks can be discovered during their senior season of high school football and some are only beginning their development.   That holds true with Tampa Jesuit quarterback Vincent Testaverde, Jr.; a name well recognized by the people of Tampa Bay; and a quarterback who has just gotten his start.  Following his senior season, Testaverde had the opportunity to follow his father's footsteps playing postgraduate football at the prep level.  Instead, he discovered an opportunity many would ask for when accepting a preferred walk-on to join Kliff Kingsbury and the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

GAINRecruiting.com shares the journey of Vincent Testaverde Jr. in his own words...

THE BEGINNING

"I was born in Tampa and moved to Long Island around the age of 5 or 6.   It was when I was either 7 or 8 that I went to one of my dad's games with the Jets and was allowed to go down on the field after the game that it all sunk in.  I was able to take everything in and it successfully clicked for me that football was a big part of my family's life.  I moved back to Tampa Bay in the sixth grade and my dad had always told me he was fine with what sports I played as long as I was happy.  For the longest time, my love was basketball and that was the sport I focused on.  I played shooting guard.  I was a good player but going into my sophomore year at Tampa Jesuit I started having thoughts about playing quarterback.  Even during my time only playing basketball, I would go out and shoot hoops with my dad and then spend time throwing the football with him in the yard.   During the spring of my sophomore year, I talked with my dad, and decided to switch it up and start my development on playing quarterback."

THE FIRST SPRING

"I joined the team for spring practice and learning everything as I went.   I had a lot to learn and a lot of room to grow but I was catching up fairly quick and keeping up with my teammates learning and grasping the playbook.  There were two seniors ahead of me on the depth chart so I had to make the most of limited reps.  It was a great learning period and allowed me to go to work and earn my teammates trust to become part of the team."

JUNIOR SEASON

"The coach asked me if I wanted to start junior varsity games but I did not want to be the only junior on the field.   So I worked my hardest to make sure I was prepared if I received an opportunity to start on varsity.   Through the first five games, I did not receive one snap.   I kept picking up the offense and working on my fundamentals in practice then in the sixth game of the season they put me in to execute a couple of hand-offs. The two games after I received playing time and threw about 10 passes per game."

"The following game against Lakewood, they inserted me as a starter.   I went 4 for 10 and threw for around 115 yards.   We had an opportunity to kick a field goal late in the 4th quarter to tie the game but it was blocked.   I only made one pass attempt in the red zone during that series and it made me appreciate having the ball in my hands in those situations moving forward.   During the game, I completed a pass up the seam for over 30 yards that was extended to 50 yards with yards after the catch.   That gave me the confidence I could play the position and stand in the pocket and make the necessary throws down field."

"I started the final two games of the season, and we won both games.  The final game of the season was against our rival Tampa Catholic.  I threw a touchdown pass and we won 17-3.  It gave me confidence going into the off-season that I had an opportunity to go out and play well as a senior."

SPRING 2013

"I was a completely different player coming back for my second spring.  I knew so much more, understood the game so much better, and I felt a part of the team.  I had much more comfort leading the team in practice and putting my guys in the best position at line of scrimmage.   I went into the spring knowing I had an opportunity to throw in front of college coaches but I never established any relationships to identify which schools actually evaluated me so I did not have much recruiting activity going on.  I kept my confidence level up because I knew I had my senior year in front of me to prove myself and kept putting in the work to find a way to get a little bit better each day."

SENIOR SEASON

"We had a strong season and finished 8-4.  I threw for 1,015 yards, nine touchdowns, and four interceptions.  I unfortunately suffered an appendectomy and missed the last regular season game and our first round state playoff game.  We were losing to Lake Wales in the second round game so I came in to take over quarterback duties in the second half, but I was still recovering and my stomach was not fully healed.  I did not make much of a difference.  Overall, though, I am proud of the progression I made my first year playing during my junior season through my senior season."

"I am much better prepared to make pre-snap reads and identify the "Mike" in any defense I am facing.  I have really developed my game to throw with timing and rhythm and anticipation.   My dad always told me to never rush throwing the football, get my shoulders square, and throw towards my target.  I play with eyes up field and with my feet and I am capable of making any throw down field.   A lot of FCS, Division II, and Division III schools showed interest when my film was sent out after the season but I was set on giving myself an opportunity to compete with a BCS school if I was not going to go the prep route.  I ended up having walk-on opportunities at Florida, USF, and FAU but I fell in love with Texas Tech and knew that is where I wanted to go."

TEXAS TECH VS PREP SCHOOL

"One of the reasons I never worried too much about my college recruitment was I always planned to play a postgraduate year since that is the route my dad went with Fork Union Military Academy back when he graduated from high school.   I don't turn 18 until after I graduate high school.  We had discussions with a couple of the elite post-graduate only programs in the northeast and I was leaning that direction."

"But my first trip to West Texas and visiting a place they said was a big campus in a small town convinced me that was the route I wanted to go.  I could tell as soon as I arrived and was greeted by the people of the town.   The university is surrounded with great people, and it starts with Coach Kingsbury.  He has a young, hard-working staff that does a great job relating with their players and providing energy and enthusiasm.  They have a young depth chart at quarterback and I will be coming in with an equal opportunity with guys in my same class to earn a spot on the depth chart.   Coach Kingsbury works directly with his quarterbacks.   It's a great opportunity to have him lead our position meetings and on-field work."

CLOSING

"I am excited for the progress I have made in my first year and a half of playing the quarterback position and I am even more excited for the progress and development I will make at Texas Tech.  I have put on 20 pounds of muscle since the end of last season and I want Red Raider fans to know that I am going to come in and give it my all.  They will receive my hardest work every day and I will continue to push myself and those around me to help us achieve our team goals.   I have not yet decided my area of study but I report to campus in the beginning of June and can't wait to get started."



1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Red Raider Nation! Wish you all the best. GUNS UP!!!

    ReplyDelete