Monday, May 19, 2014

The Journey of 2014 DE Lloyd Campbell III

[EXETER] -  Our staff takes great pride identifying student-athletes whom excel in the classroom and showcase a ceiling for development into a productive college football player.  Two years ago, we were introduced to defensive end Lloyd Campbell III of Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire.  At that time he caught the attention of current Arizona Cardinals defensive line coach Tom Pratt during an off-season camp.  It was evident Lloyd's skill was raw and he needed physical development, but his coach-ability, work ethic, and relentless motor proved in the right structure he would be blossom into a productive every down player.   Lloyd's own focus on academics and electing not to join a postgraduate football program in New England may have prevented him from reaching his ideal level of success on the football field; but never the less; his success academically opened doors to allow him to reach his goal of playing college football.

GAINRecruiting.com share the journey of Lloyd Campbell III in his own words culminating his signed letter of intent with Williams College.

THE BEGINNING

"I started playing football when I made the move to Fessenden School to attend 8th and 9th grade.  Before that move, I always played goalie in soccer and had fun with the relentless freedom the position afforded to play with contact.  It made me realize I enjoyed hitting people when the opportunities presented themselves. So, I started out playing offensive tackle and defensive tackle when I joined the football team, but I struggled my first year with asthma and the fact I was out of shape.  It was a wake-up call that I need to improve my conditioning."

TURNING POINT

"I would say the turning point came for me going into my freshman year when I attended a five-day Offense/Defense camp.   I picked up techniques and really improved my physicality.   It led to a much improved freshman year when I won the Best OL award at Fessenden."

PREP SCHOOL

"Once I finished 9th grade at Fessenden, I transitioned to Phillips Exeter Academy to finish high school.   I had applied to seven prep schools and was proud to be accepted by each.   My final choices were Exeter, Andover, and St. Paul.  I looked for the best combination of football, a math program, and a good Japanese program.  I found Exeter to be the best fit for me.   It's been a great place for me to gain independence from my home and has given me an advantage in my preparation for college.  I have taken several college level courses, am nearly fluent in Japanese, and am finishing my last year of school learning Arabic."

GRADES 10-12

"Even though I grew up with my sights on playing running back, it became evident my skill set was better served elsewhere.  I ended up continuing to play on the offensive line and continued playing on the defensive line during my sophomore season with the junior varsity team.  I gained a lot of valuable experience in practice against the varsity team and going up daily against the postgraduates that were on the team.   It helped prepare me to make the move to varsity my junior season."

"During my junior season, I finally got an opportunity to join the backfield as I was moved to fullback.   I was happy with the move because as a 6'0, 220-pound guy I knew I didn't have much of a future as an offensive lineman.  I continued my progression at defensive end and received action in every game at both spots.   We won our prep school conference championship."

"Going into my senior year, I was invited to participate in the Under Armour All-American Combine.  Following my performance there and the work I put in during the off-season, I expected to be an every down player.  Instead, our coaches brought in two postgraduates at defensive end and one postgraduate at fullback so I was not able to be an every down player.  I continued to make the most of the opportunities I received and contributed on both sides of the ball, as well, as on special teams.  Even though I was not able to receive full-time reps, I was satisfied with my development.  My first step was quicker, I was stronger, and I learned how to effectively engage my hips at the point of attack."

 WILLIAMS COLLEGE

"My recruiting process was long and it was a hard decision.  In the end, after making several college visits I trimmed my list to Williams, Rose-Hulman, Middlebury, and Carleton.   I developed a very strong relationship with head coach Aaron Kelton at Williams and he personally recruited me.   When I visited campus, the people were welcoming and generous.  I was very impressed with how unified the football team was with the student body and there were a bunch of great guys on the football team.  Coach Kelton told me he plans to play me at defensive end and that my main responsibilty is to rush the passer.   I felt Williams was the place that I could make the best of every opportunity that is in front of me academically and athletically."

TRACK & FIELD

"During high school, I always competed in track & field.   I ran the 100 and threw the shot put.  I focused more of my attention on throwing but used sprinting to help me develop my explosiveness and overall conditioning.   This spring, I won the New England Prep School Track Association shot put with a personal best throw of 51'1.5'.   I am going to consult with my coaches at Williams and if available, am going to try and continue throwing shot put in college."

CLOSING

"I want everyone at Williams to know they're getting a guy who's going to give it his all.  I am going to bring excitement and make big plays.  I don't report until the last week of August but until then I will be hard at work developing my game.  Overall, I feel Williams gives me the best opportunity to develop as a world citizen and to help make the world a better place."


No comments:

Post a Comment