Wednesday, May 21, 2014

SPRING PROSPECTIVE: 2015 QB Henry Houden

[MADISON] - For those wondering who's a quarterback prospect slipping through the cracks in the class of 2015, we have one: his name is Henry Houden and he attends Memorial High School in Madison, WI.  While waiting for his turn to take over full-time quarterback duties, Houden showcased his ability to make an impact on the defensive side of the ball at safety.  Now, the six-foot-four, 185-pound signal caller has put in the necessary preparation to showcase he is ready for the spotlight at quarterback.  He has great feet, athleticism, throws an accurate ball, and is sound mechanically with his load and release of the football.  He's a versatile multi-sport athlete with a 4.0 GPA and a 29 on his first time taking the ACT.  



The old adage goes the best athlete plays quarterback.   When you combine that with size, intelligence, and drive you have the recipe of developing a special quarterback.

"I started playing quarterback in the sixth grade," commented Houden.  "I was the best athlete on the team and could throw the best ball so that is where I started.  In my three-year middle school career, our team went 20-4.  My proudest moment was in the 8th grade when my coach gave me the freedom to call audibles at the line of scrimmage.  We had an audible to run a fade route and I remember the first audible I called was to the fade route and we scored a touchdown."

Houden then transitioned to high school where he continued playing quarterback on the freshman team and by the end of his freshman year on the junior varsity team.  He also mixed in time at safety before taking over quarterback responsibilities for the junior varsity team his 10th grade year.

Heading into this junior season, it became apparent he would fall in line with previous Memorial quarterbacks who had to wait until their senior seasons to resume quarterback duties.

"The guy in front of me was a back-up his junior year and was the coach's son," Houden continued.

"I didn't want to just sit on the sideline without being able to help the team all season so I gave defense a shot and worked to become the starting safety.  By week four, against Madison West, we had a 28-21 lead with four minutes left in the 4th quarter and I made an interception to close the game.  In week five against Verona, I recorded 16 tackles.  Throughout the season, I recorded the most tackles in the conference (67), two interceptions, one caused fumble, and one fumble recovery."

"In the three series I played quarterback, I completed all seven of my passes averaging 9.6 yards per attempt.  I rushed six times for 23 yards and two touchdowns.  I also caught one pass for 20 yards in our playoff game."

His play proved he can pursue the safety position, but his sights are squarely set on playing quarterback and his experience on the defensive side of the ball strengthened his opportunity to play quarterback this coming fall.

"I have a much better understanding of how a defensive back is playing with leverage and how to better read their hips.  I have a much better understanding of how to attack zone defense. Quarterback is the position I plan to play in the college.  It is important to me because it's a position that requires you to be a leader for your team." 

Also a starting guard on his varsity basketball team -- one of the state's best teams – Houden’s excellence in athletics is matched with his success academically.  Gearing up to take 4 AP courses next year as a senior, Houden has already opened doors to many of the country's top ranked academic universities.

"I take my academics very seriously because I believe it shows determination," said Houden.  "In whatever I set out to do, I want to make sure that I am doing it at my best.   I will take the ACT again and I expect to score higher."

Thus far, he has received serious college interest from Harvard, Yale, Penn, North Dakota State, and Southern Illinois among others.   He plans to attend camps at Princeton, Penn, Yale, and Harvard in late June plus the New England Elite Football Clinic in early July.   He will camp at Wisconsin and Northwestern, too, and is also considering attending camp at North Dakota State and possibly elsewhere.

"I am looking for a big campus surrounded with a big city," said Houden.  "I want to know the school values education more than they do sports and the coaches are committed to their players’ development and winning championships.  I want to be a part of a program that cares about its people and team."

As he prepares for his summer camp appearances and his senior season, Houden continues to receive instruction from quarterback coach Joe Dickinson, the lead instructor for DeBartolo QB Academy.

"Joe's great and I trust everything that he relays on to me," expressed Houden.  "I know if I am not happy with a throw I made I can trace it to the ball coming off my middle finger or slipping off my thumb.   He is very straightforward with me, and has shown me what I need to do to elevate my game to the level of where I want to play.   I can already see from the end of last season I have made great improvements with my arm strength, foot speed, accuracy, and overall knowledge of the game."




No comments:

Post a Comment